A couple of weeks ago I asked this question on how to fix a cracked stair step. I got a good answer, and have acted on it. During the process I learned more that might be helpful to future searchers:
- results of cutting into the ceiling below the cracked step
- what I used as a reinforcing board
- how to "clamp" the reinforcing board against the underside of the step
- notes on appearance of eventual patch to under-stairway ceiling
- other experiences (e.g. the crack widened)
Would it be appropriate to post an answer to my own question, giving the process with pictures? I'm fine with leaving the existing answer (which gave me good information) checked as the correct one.