We currently have 163 questions under the asbestos tag, with the majority of them asking for identification of asbestos in some object based on a photograph. I counted 35 in the 50 most recently asked asbestos questions.
Some recent examples:
- Is this flowerpot insert made from asbestos?
- Testing for insulation for asbestos?
- Does this look like asbestos? Getting it tested but I'm curious in the meantime
Asbestos is a microscopic fiber, so answers to these questions generally read something like:
- The only way to know for sure is if you send a sample to an asbestos testing lab to be tested.
Sometimes qualified with:
- The thing you photographed was sometimes made with asbestos. See #1 above.
Given that we can't identify asbestos from the photographs given, should we make this type of question off-topic?
This would limit the scope of the asbestos tag to questions about if the OP should deal with it themselves, how to deal with it if found, interpretation of test results, etc. To help guide users to the correct usage, we could set up a tag warning -- a popup that appears when you try to use a particular tag -- with information about this policy.