I say plasterboard, you say drywall I say uPVC, you say vinyl... let's call the whole thing off?

Seriously. Should we find a way to create a glossary of DIY-related terms to help bridge the culture gaps between US, UK, Canadian and Australasian usage?

  • 1
    Make this Community Wiki and then people add terms in an an answer... like I'm about to do...
    – x3ja
    Jul 21, 2010 at 21:16
  • Questions that ask users to create a list of answers should be made community wiki. I converted this question. Jul 22, 2010 at 0:22
  • 2
    This is a good idea, but I think the structure is off. Instead of multiple answers with one term each, there should be one answer collaboratively edited with a list of terms and their "translation." (See my answer below as an example.)
    – Doresoom
    Jul 23, 2010 at 15:16
  • This was a great idea until 5 answers said the same thing... :(
    – FreeMan
    Jan 5 at 19:17

5 Answers 5

  • Joint Compound or Mud (US) - Plaster (UK)
  • Vinyl (US) - uPVC (UK) ?
  • Drywall (US) - Sheetrock (US) - Plasterboard (UK)
  • Or should this be a table instead?
    – Doresoom
    Jul 23, 2010 at 15:19
  • +1 to get this at the top of the list so we're only editing a single entry. I vote for your style since a table would require expanding each time a new country is included.
    – BMitch Mod
    Jun 8, 2011 at 22:49
  • Drywall (US) (aka 'gypsum board', aka 'wallboard', aka 'sheet rock' (specific brand))
  • Plasterboard (UK)

related terms:

  • Greenboard (US): a water resistant variant
  • Blueboard (US): a variant treated for use as backing for plastering
  • Cementboard (US): a similar product, used as backing for tiling.
  • Vinyl (US)
  • uPVC (UK)

(not sure about this one...)


The question is how, no? It seems like tag wikis would be a better place to do this.

  • This question was asked around the time the entire tag wiki, tag synonym, etc. system was being put in place. I agree, explanation of the various synonyms in the wikis is a good way to handle this.
    – Niall C. Mod
    Oct 23, 2012 at 17:44
  • Eesh. i didn't even notice it was mroe than two years old.
    – Amanda
    Oct 23, 2012 at 20:37
  • Plaster (UK)
  • Mud (US)
  • 1
    I think the term "Plaster" is common enough in the US that anyone would know what you were talking about. Not sure about the term "Mud" in the UK though. Jul 23, 2010 at 20:51
  • 5
    Isn't plaster umm... plaster? the stuff that makes a wall (as in "my wall is lath and paster")? while mud is usually used to refer to joint compound, or whats used to patch drywall. Are these terms really interchangeable?
    – Tester101
    Aug 25, 2010 at 12:08
  • I've never heard it called "mud" here in the US. Sep 23, 2010 at 2:05
  • "Mud" is a very common term for "drywall joint compound" and it's much easier to say. It is, however, very different than the plaster used as a skim coat and final finish (prior to paint) that can be applied over taped & mudded drywall.
    – FreeMan
    Feb 19 at 16:06

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .