I say plasterboard, you say drywall I say uPVC, you say vinyl... let's call the whole thing off?

Seriously. Should we find a way to create a glossary of DIY-related terms to help bridge the culture gaps between US, UK, Canadian and Australasian usage?

| |
  • Make this Community Wiki and then people add terms in an an answer... like I'm about to do... – x3ja Jul 21 '10 at 21:16
  • Questions that ask users to create a list of answers should be made community wiki. I converted this question. – Robert Cartaino Jul 22 '10 at 0:22
  • 2
    This is a good idea, but I think the structure is off. Instead of multiple answers with one term each, there should be one answer collaboratively edited with a list of terms and their "translation." (See my answer below as an example.) – Doresoom Jul 23 '10 at 15:16
  • Joint Compound or Mud (US) - Plaster (UK)
  • Vinyl (US) - uPVC (UK) ?
  • Drywall (US) - Sheetrock (US) - Plasterboard (UK)
  • Or should this be a table instead? – Doresoom Jul 23 '10 at 15:19
  • +1 to get this at the top of the list so we're only editing a single entry. I vote for your style since a table would require expanding each time a new country is included. – BMitch Jun 8 '11 at 22:49

The question is how, no? It seems like tag wikis would be a better place to do this.

| |
  • This question was asked around the time the entire tag wiki, tag synonym, etc. system was being put in place. I agree, explanation of the various synonyms in the wikis is a good way to handle this. – Niall C. Oct 23 '12 at 17:44
  • Eesh. i didn't even notice it was mroe than two years old. – Amanda Oct 23 '12 at 20:37
  • Vinyl (US)
  • uPVC (UK)

(not sure about this one...)

| |
  • Plaster (UK)
  • Mud (US)
  • 1
    I think the term "Plaster" is common enough in the US that anyone would know what you were talking about. Not sure about the term "Mud" in the UK though. – Eric Petroelje Jul 23 '10 at 20:51
  • 4
    Isn't plaster umm... plaster? the stuff that makes a wall (as in "my wall is lath and paster")? while mud is usually used to refer to joint compound, or whats used to patch drywall. Are these terms really interchangeable? – Tester101 Aug 25 '10 at 12:08
  • I've never heard it called "mud" here in the US. – Goodbye Stack Exchange Sep 23 '10 at 2:05
  • Drywall (US) (aka 'gypsum board', aka 'wallboard', aka 'sheet rock' (specific brand))
  • Plasterboard (UK)

related terms :

  • Greenboard (US) : a water resistant variant
  • Blueboard (US) : a variant treated for use as backing for plastering
  • Cementboard (US) : a similar product, used as backing for tiling.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .